Monday, October 11, 2004

Picturesque

Situated in the outskirts of civilization, the isolated Pinyahon Island is the perfect picture of splendor, of exotic beauty, of one untouched by the masks of ornaments humans put up for something to appear eye-catching, and of God’s loving hands.
It was in 2003 when I visited Pinyahon Island with my Mom and Dad. I wondered why it’s called Pinyahon Island, however, for it is not an island of “pinyas” (pineapple). It is, in fact, a far cry from the usual plantations of pinya that we are exposed to. My hunch is that it’s because of the numerous small, tree-like, leafless plants that sprouted from the huge, unperturbed corals.
It is merely one eighth the size of Malacañang Palace and all covered in white sand and surrounded by, believe it or not, crystal clear water -- you could actually see your feet the way it appears when you see it soaked in a tub of clean drinking water. That sunny day, I was in awe all the more when I looked beyond the clear water part and saw the magnificent blue water, a reflection of the blue sky and the good old Sun just peeking from above the fluffy clouds.
You would go ooh and aah, I know you will, when you’ll see starfish, beautiful corals, and different kinds of fishes all swimming in schools and all absolutely wow! I even saw a live angel fish and other fishes you only see in aquariums and on cable channels like National Geographic and Discovery Channel. The problem was, when my Dad was naming them all I was so preoccupied with the thought that the rope of the floating house attached to a cottage on the island might loosen. I feared that we might have to swim back that I didn’t catch all the names and all the fishes he was pointing at. You see, the bigger problem was, though I grew up in a place where beaches are a walk away, I do not know how to swim.
Thankfully, my dad felt his tummy grumbling. Did I mention that the island, though very small, has a helipad, a kitchen and a two-room cottage with a monkey named “ngoy” hanging onto the bamboo connecting the cottage and the kitchen? If I fell in love with the island a little bit at first sight, I fell all the more in love with it when I saw all the yummy seafoods – sinugbang bangus, boiled huge reddish crabs, fried and sinabawang tahong (lots and lots of it), kinilaw na tuna, roasted huge fish (yep!) complete with suka and toyo with chili peppers, plus fresh shrimps, lobsters as big as your forearm, and not to mention fresh buko juice where you drink it straight from the green medium-sized buko itself. To top it off, there were pineapple, yellow and green banana, ripe mangoes, and juicy, red watermelon slices for desert.
The thing is, we were not alone on the island. We were with two other groups – group of teens and group of the middle-aged – that the kitchen resembled that of small scale Jollibee during lunchtime except that we didn’t have to order our food to eat, we just had to compete to get our choice foods – I mistakenly grabbed a hand as I reached out for a lobster. There was a series of mumbling (“oops sorry”, “excuse me”) while eyeing the food murderously. We were like a group of street urchins who saw one small bag of pan de sal after a day or two of hearing our stomachs growl. My Dad said that cooking the day’s meal is part of the caretaker’s job description. He transacts business as soon as you arrive on the Island, and has his own minions (the bangkeros) to help him with the tasks. Bringing your own food, then, is absolute no-no unless you are allergic to seafoods.
The Island is the place to be when you want to escape from the headaches of the City life, but, the thing is, you should know the weather first before you decide to stay. You see, the Island, come high tide, becomes totally invisible except for the cottage and floating house. This bit of information scared me out of my wits. The good thing was, my Mom and Dad planned for us to stay until the afternoon of that same day.
Now, how do you get there. Pinyahon Island is an extension of Dakak Park and Beach Resort owned by the Jalosjos Family of Dapitan City, Zamboanga del Norte. You can go there by boat from Dakak, which would take about an hour or so, or you travel by land for two hours in mountainous places before you arrive in a small town called Sinuyak from Dipolog City. From there you take a thirty-minute boat ride to the beautiful Pinyahon Island. If you’re coming from Manila, of course, your travel is much longer.
It is rumored that the Jalosjos family owns the Island that’s why it has a sense of privacy. I have no idea how you arrange your visit there, though, but I don’t think reservation is required. People go there everyday, but, sadly (or, is it?), few people know of it. I believe that the reason for this is simple: the Jalosjos’ is on it again. My Dad said that they may be planning to develop it and fence it for themselves and their rich guests. Theirs is for both lucrative and manipulative business disguised under “WOW Philippines”.
Just recently, my Mom told me that Pinyahon Island is in danger of getting her beauty wiped out. The culprit? Philex Mining Corporation. Mom said that only few fishes could be seen and the tahong that we really love can’t be eaten due to the threatening Red Tide factor. There was even a time when beautiful fishes were seen floating – polluted by chemicals. In due time, the crystal clear water of the amazing Pinyahon Island would turn murky.
Pinyahon Island is, indeed, a sight to behold. It is a rewarding place, a real treasure to be grasped. If only civilization won’t exchange it for giant, murdering, money machines all would be well – the Island would be as beautiful as ever and the fishermen will enjoy plentiful harvests. I believe that if the Island has a voice, she would boom “Don’t you dare touch me!” If I could wish one thing, I would wish that the Island, in all her tranquil splendor, could lasts forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home